Chocolate Berry Angel Torte
Our taste-testers were impressed by the way Katherine Newman of Cedarburg, Wisconsin dresses up a purchased angel food cake! Her dessert has a chocolate filling between the layers and a lovely raspberry topping.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen raspberries, thawed
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 carton (12 ounces) whipped topping, divided
- 1 prepared angel food cake (8 to 10 ounces)
- In a saucepan, combine 1 tablespoon sugar, cornstarch and raspberries. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Cool. Strain and discard seeds; set raspberry sauce aside.
- In a bowl, beat the cream, brown sugar and remaining sugar. Stir in chocolate and extract. Fold in 2 cups of whipped topping.
- Split angel food cake into three horizontal layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; spread with half of the chocolate mixture. Repeat layers. Top with remaining cake. Spread remaining whipped topping over top and sides of cake.
- Drizzle 1/4 cup raspberry sauce over cake. Cover and refrigerate until serving. Serve with remaining raspberry sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 213 calories, 8g fat (7g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 181mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Chocolate Berry Angel Torte in Taste of Home June/July 2003