Our taste-testers were impressed by the way Katherine Newman of Cedarburg, Wisconsin dresses up a purchased angel food cake! Her dessert has a chocolate filling between the layers and a lovely raspberry topping.
Recommended: 78 Christmas Potluck Desserts for 12 or More
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen raspberries, thawed
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 squares (1 ounce each) unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1 teaspoon rum extract or vanilla extract
- 1 carton (12 ounces) whipped topping, divided
- 1 prepared angel food cake (10 ounces)
- In a saucepan, combine 1 tablespoon sugar, cornstarch and raspberries. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Cool. Strain and discard seeds; set raspberry sauce aside. In a mixing bowl, beat the cream, brown sugar and remaining sugar. Stir in chocolate and extract. Fold in 2 cups of whipped topping.
- Split angel food cake into three horizontal layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; spread with half of the chocolate mixture. Repeat layers. Top with remaining cake. Spread remaining whipped topping over top and sides of cake. Drizzle 1/4 cup raspberry sauce over cake. Cover and refrigerate until serving. Serve with remaining raspberry sauce. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Berry Angel Torte in Taste of Home June/July 2003, p53