- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups cold whole milk
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant banana cream pudding mix
- 1 can (16 ounces) chocolate frosting
- 2 medium firm bananas, sliced
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks; mix well. Beat in the bananas, sour cream and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture and beat well.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter. Transfer to two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, in a small bowl, whisk milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- In a small bowl, beat frosting until light and fluffy. Place bananas in a small bowl; toss with lemon juice.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 3 tablespoons frosting. Stir pudding; spread half over the frosting. Top with half of the bananas and the remaining cake layer. Repeat frosting, filling and banana layers. Frost sides and decorate top edge of cake with remaining frosting. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forChocolate Banana Cream Cake
"Best cake!Didn't use the frosting though,But still it tasted great."
"Made this for my birthday & didn't want to share. Creamy & light."
"Amazing! I would definitely make this again!"
"I made this cake a couple of times and it is delicious!!!!"
"I made this for my dad's birthday, and I ended up liking it way better than I thought I would, not being a big banana fan. The cake is super moist, the filling is tasty, and I think it has just the right amount of chocolate flavor, although when I make it again I'll make my own chocolate frosting. Canned frosting is handy, but homemade tastes so much better."
"Children loved it. Will make again."
"Made this for my work party ! Huge hit... Everyone loved it... Going to make it again and again.."
"I have made this cake several times now, and everytime it is a hit! And I've never had to worry about the bananas turning brown...it never lasts that long!"
"This was an excellent cake and everyone said it was delicious. I thought the cake was "heavy" as specified, and will try to lighten it up a bit next time. I had only one cake pan, so I made a single layer cake, with the bananas and some raisins soaked in Grand Marnier, and also some more liquor in the frosting and pudding. Then added walnut halves for crunch."