- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine dry ingredients; add to the creamed mixture alternately with applesauce. Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews forChocolate Applesauce Cake
"I LOVED this cake! So nice and moist and, as a still delicious bonus, healthy too. I made this cake as my sister's birthday cake because I didn't have a lot of baking cocoa and for those that doubt a good chocolate flavor for only 2 tbsp, it still has a nice chocolate flavor. I didn't put on the extra nuts and chocolate but instead frosted it because it was a birthday cake, although I agree it is so good by itself! I used half all-purpose, half whole wheat flour - still yummy! I will definately be making this again.....as soon as I get more applesauce!"
"Very Good! used whole wheat flour too, made many times"
"easy. Yummy. No need to frost. I just discovered recipe 2 weeks ago and I've already made 4 times!"