Chocolate Angel Food Cake Recipe
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 2 cups egg whites (about 14 large)
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. Sift flour and cocoa together three times; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy. Sprinkle with cream of tartar and beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Blend in vanilla. Sift about a fourth of the flour mixture by fourths. Pour into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan.
- 3. Bake at 325° for 1 hour. Turn off the oven, but let cake sit in the oven for 5 minutes. Removed from the oven and immediately invert pan; cool. Loosen sides of cake from pan and remove. Yield: 12 servings.
1 piece: 190 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 89mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Chocolate Angel Food Cake
"This was the first "from scratch" angel food cake recipe that I ever tried and it turned out so well, that it quickly became a family favorite! I've made it time and time again, and it always turns out moist and delicious. I like to add a Tbl. of minced fresh peppermint to the batter for a nice change of pace."
"I made this cake for my dad on father's day. He loved the batter, proclaiming that I was making French silk pie. However, the cake turned out dry. I think the cooking time is way too long. I use the "convection bake" setting on my oven, which normally shortens the time. However, I shortened this recipe by ten minutes, and the cake was still way overdone."