Chocolate and Red Wine Cupcakes
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups dry red wine
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 16 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- In a large bowl, beat the wine, eggs, oil and vanilla until well blended. Combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, salt and baking powder; gradually beat into wine mixture until blended.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups half full. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Place chocolate in a small bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour over chocolate; whisk until smooth. Refrigerate until chilled. Beat until soft peaks form, about 15 seconds. Pipe over cupcakes.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 274 calories, 18g fat (9g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 179mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Jan 12, 2014
The cupcakes themselves were quite good-many layers of flavor; however, I will never make the frosting again. If you do make it, you need to really let it cool forever, not just until chilled. Plus the frosting itself was not very manageable. I will make the cupcakes again, but I will use one of my favorite frostings instead of this one.
Apr 29, 2013
The red wine makes the cupcake decadent!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.