Chocolate Almond Stacks
A yummy blend of almonds, whipped cream and chocolate sauce goes into this showpiece dessert from Leah Lyon of Ada, Oklahoma. She suggests lightly toasting the almonds for extra flavor.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min. + chilling
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- In a small saucepan, melt chocolate with 1 tablespoon cream; stir until smooth. In a small bowl, beat the egg, sugar and vanilla on high speed for 5 minutes or until thick and pale yellow. Fold in flour and melted chocolate. Pour into two 5-in. x 3-in. x 2-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Cut cakes in half widthwise.
- In a small saucepan, melt chocolate chips with 3 tablespoons cream, stirring constantly. Spread over top of cakes; sprinkle with almonds. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, beat almond extract with remaining cream until stiff peaks form. Spread half of the whipped cream on top of two cake squares; top each with a remaining cake square and remaining whipped cream.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 793 calories, 62g fat (30g saturated fat), 229mg cholesterol, 69mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (43g sugars, 6g fiber), 13g protein.
Originally published as Two Good Double Chocolate Amaretto Stacks in Cooking for 2 Winter 2006
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.