Chocolate Almond Biscotti
“During college, I came across a chocolate biscotti recipe and played around with it until I came up with this one,” relates Lori Hinze of McCook, Nebraska. “It’s great with tea or coffee for dunking.”
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons beaten egg
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1/2 teaspoon hot water
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and semisweet chocolate until blended. Dissolve coffee granules in hot water; beat into chocolate mixture. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; gradually add to chocolate mixture.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead in almonds. On a baking sheet coated with cooking spray, shape dough into a 12-in. x 3-in. rectangle. Bake at 350° for 28-30 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a cutting board; cut diagonally with a serrated knife into 13 slices. Place cut side down on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until firm and crisp, turning once. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
- Drizzle white chocolate over biscotti; let stand until set. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 190 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 142mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Originally published as Chocolate Almond Biscotti in Cooking for 2 Spring 2008
Nov 9, 2017
My favorite recipe!!
Nov 9, 2009
Wonderful! I gave this for Christmas gifts last year, and everyone loved it!
Oct 31, 2009
Absolutely delicious-with coffee or without!