Who knew yesterday's mashed potatoes could become a decadent truffle dessert? Rich, dark chocolate with a slightly nutty texture and just a hint of Irish Cream make these luscious treats a must. —Kathy Keleher, Oak Creek, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large egg yolk, room temperature, beaten
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup ground pecans
- 1/3 cup mashed potatoes (with added milk)
- 2 tablespoons Irish cream liqueur, Kahlua or strong brewed coffee
- Baking cocoa or additional ground pecans
- In a double boiler or metal bowl over simmering water, heat the chocolate chips, unsweetened chocolate and butter until melted, whisking frequently. Whisk a small amount of mixture into egg yolk. Return all to the heat, whisking constantly. Cook and stir until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove from the heat; stir in the sugar, pecans, mashed potatoes and Irish cream. Refrigerate until easy to handle, about 1 hour. Shape into 1-in. balls.
- Roll truffles in cocoa or additional pecans. Refrigerate until firm, about 2 hours. Store in the refrigerator.