Choco-Peanut Bars Deluxe
Satisfy your sweet tooth with the classic blend of peanut butter and chocolate. Together, the tender peanutty bar and crunchy chocolate topping are irresistible.—Laura McDowell, Lake Villa, IL
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 15 min. + chilling
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup chunky peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup chunky peanut butter
- 2-1/4 cups crisp rice cereal
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening, butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, peanut butter and vanilla. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Spread into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 15 minutes.
- For topping, melt chocolate chips and peanut butter. Stir in cereal. Carefully spread over the top. Chill for 30 minutes or until firm. Cut into bars. Store in an airtight container.
Editor's NoteReduced-fat peanut butter is not recommended for this recipe.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 197 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 96mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Chocodiles in Country Woman October/November 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.