Chive & Onion Hash Brown Potatoes
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min. + standing
Makes12 servings (3/4 cup each)
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 container (8 ounces) spreadable chive and onion cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 packages (20 ounces each) refrigerated shredded hash brown potatoes
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh chives, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a Dutch oven, combine the first five ingredients; cook and stir over medium heat until blended. Stir in potatoes.
- In a greased 13x9-in. or 3-qt. baking dish, layer a third of the hash brown mixture and 2/3 cup Swiss cheese; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon chives. Repeat layers. Top with remaining hash brown mixture and cheese; dot with butter.
- Bake, covered, 35 minutes. Bake, uncovered, 10-20 minutes longer or until edges begin to brown and potatoes are heated through. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with remaining chives.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 285 calories, 17g fat (11g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 423mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 9g protein.
Jun 11, 2018
Fantastic. I used Tastefully Simple's Onion Onion and everyone loved this dish. I would maybe bake just a little longer.
Dec 28, 2017
These were easy to assemble, and I got lots of great reviews on them at the church luncheon. NOTE: It might take longer to bake than the recipe says.
Jul 29, 2017
Wonderful, I added ham and what a spectacular breakfast dish. Thanks so much.
Feb 19, 2017
Another great recipe!!! Made this for a birthday party and people were going back for seconds, came home with an empty dish. Made the recipe as directed only thing different was used green onions instead of chives. Will be making again and again!!!
Oct 17, 2016
Delicious and easy recipe! Assembled the ingredients in a crock pot and let them cook on low all morning long for a lunch, and it was a big hit. Very tasty and simple dish.
Mar 21, 2016
Excellent dish, shared the recipe with many family members. Everyone loved the break from crock-pot cheesy potatoes as the ole stand by
Nov 15, 2015
Very rich! I made in a deep 3qt pan. I think I will use the 9x13 next time as I suspect the potatoes may cook a bit better.
Aug 14, 2015
Have not tried this yet, but looking forward to it. I'm thinking of making this at breakfast time and serve it with ham & eggs! :)
Jul 31, 2015
Could use light cream cheese for less calories. Good dish
Jul 10, 2015
Onions, potatoes and cheese?! Oh, my, all my favorite things together in one easy dish...I'm trying not to rush out and buy everything right now1 This will definitely be a "keeper" in my recipes for our ICU potlucks.