Chippy Macaroon Angel Cake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + standing Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups large egg whites (about 10)
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup (6 ounces) miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sift confectioners' sugar and flour together twice; set aside.
- Add the cream of tartar, extracts and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time. Fold in chocolate chips and coconut.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 325° for 50-55 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched and cracks feel dry. Immediately invert baking pan; cool completely.
- For topping, in a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Serve with cake; sprinkle with coconut. Refrigerate any leftover topping.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 272 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 97mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Feb 7, 2016
Love this cake! So simple, but hits the sweet tooth perfectly
Oct 27, 2011
Love this cake! It is good with just cool whip on top
Apr 9, 2010
Great way to get rid of all the egg whites after baking all those Easter babkas. Kids loved it and it was sweet enough even after I cut back on the sugars and chips.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.