Chipotle Sweet Potato and Spiced Apple Purees
- 2 large tart apples, peeled and quartered
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 4 pounds sweet potatoes (about 6 large), peeled and quartered
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk, warmed
- 2 teaspoons minced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In an ungreased 11x7-in. baking dish, toss the apples, lemon juice, honey, butter, 1/2 teaspoon salt and five-spice powder. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 35-40 minutes or until apples are tender, turning once.
- 2. Meanwhile, place sweet potatoes in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain well. Over very low heat, stir potatoes for 1-2 minutes or until steam has evaporated.
- 3. Place potatoes in a food processor; add the milk, chipotle pepper, pepper and remaining salt. Cover and process until smooth. Transfer to a serving bowl; keep warm.
- 4. Place apples and cooking juices in a clean food processor; cover and process until smooth. Spoon over sweet potato puree.
3/4 cup: 224 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 498mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 5g fiber), 3g protein.
Oct 28, 2014
The chiptle and the apples makes this sweet potato dish taste like no other. This was a hit with my family who doesn't care for sweet potatoes.
Oct 4, 2012
I first saw Shannon make this on PBS, and it's now become a staple for all our Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners! I omit the chipotle peppers (personal taste), but it is still incredible! Most people can't believe how good it tastes - it's even converted people who say they don't like sweet potatoes! I use a hand blender for easier cleanup, and I've discovered that it also tastes excellent when the apples and the sweet potatoes are all blended together instead of kept separate. Yum, yum, yum!!! My mouth is watering just thinking about it... :)
Dec 23, 2011
There's a sweet layer on the top and a spicy layer under it and they blend together perfectly. ^_^