Chipotle Shredded Sweet Potatoes with Bacon
I crave a little heat with my sweet spuds, so I mix in chipotle peppers. The smoky flavor blends perfectly with this creamy, cheesy side dish. —Kathi Jones-DelMonte, Rochester, New York
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, finely chopped
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons ground chipotle pepper
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes (about 4 large), peeled and shredded
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups shredded Manchego or Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 cups shredded Muenster cheese
- 1 package (16 ounces) applewood smoked bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and shallots; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until softened.
- Transfer onion mixture to a large bowl; stir in parsley and seasonings. Add sweet potatoes and cheeses, mixing well. Fold in chopped bacon.
- Transfer mixture to a greased 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Sprinkle with paprika. Cook, covered, on low 4-5 hours or until potatoes are tender.
- In a small bowl, mix topping ingredients. Serve with sweet potatoes.