Chipotle Shredded Sweet Potatoes with Bacon
I crave a little heat with my sweet spuds, so I mix in chipotle peppers. The smoky flavor blends perfectly with this creamy, cheesy side dish. —Kathi Jones-DelMonte, Rochester, New York
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, finely chopped
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons ground chipotle pepper
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes (about 4 large), peeled and shredded
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups shredded Manchego or Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 cups shredded Muenster cheese
- 1 package (16 ounces) applewood smoked bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and shallots; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until softened.
- Transfer onion mixture to a large bowl; stir in parsley and seasonings. Add sweet potatoes and cheeses, mixing well. Fold in chopped bacon.
- Transfer mixture to a greased 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Sprinkle with paprika. Cook, covered, on low 4-5 hours or until potatoes are tender.
- In a small bowl, mix topping ingredients. Serve with sweet potatoes.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup with about 4-1/2 teaspoons topping: 491 calories, 28g fat (14g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 708mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 5g fiber), 20g protein.
Originally published as Chipotle Sweet Potato Gratin with Applewood Bacon in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2015