Chipotle Scalloped Sweet Potatoes with Spiced Pecans
Your holiday sweet potatoes won't be ho-hum when you serve them this way. The slices of sweet potatoes take on an amazing smokey flavor from the chipotle peppers and the topping of spicy pecans add even more zing.—Donna Thomas, Dallas, Texas
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 55 min.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- In a small saucepan, melt butter. Remove from the heat. Stir in the pecans, sugar, adobo sauce, cumin and chili powder until pecans are coated. Spread onto foil; set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the cream, chipotle peppers, salt and pepper. Arrange a third of the sweet potatoes in a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Pour 2/3 cup cream mixture over potatoes. Repeat layers twice.
- Cover and bake at 375° for 45 minutes. Sprinkle with spiced pecans. Bake, uncovered, 10-15 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 509 calories, 47g fat (21g saturated fat), 114mg cholesterol, 509mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Chipotle Scalloped Sweet Potatoes with Spiced Pecans in Taste of Home Cookbook Contest 2010/2011