Chipotle Rhubarb Sauce
Folks are surprised to hear that rhubarb is this barbecue sauce's secret. Chipotle peppers add a little kick.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 18-22 minutes or until rhubarb is tender. Cool slightly.
- In a blender, process sauce until smooth. Serve warm.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 51 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 427mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Rhubarb Sauce with Pork Chops in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2006