My family prefers traditional dishes on Christmas, but I like to add in a few of my own unique creations. With brown sugar, cinnamon and chipotle powder for a little kick, this cranberry sauce will earn a permanent spot in the holiday lineup. —Chris Michalowski, Dallas, Texas
Recommended: Recipes with Cranberries
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 medium orange
- 1 package (12 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 1/4 to 3/4 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Finely grate peel from orange. Cut orange crosswise in half; squeeze juice from orange. Place peel and orange juice in a large saucepan. Add remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Reduce heat to a simmer; cook, uncovered, 5-7 minutes or until berries pop, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Transfer to a small bowl; cool slightly. Refrigerate, covered, until cold. Yield: 1-3/4 cups.
Originally published as Chipotle-Orange Cranberry Sauce in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2016, p46