Chipotle Mac & Cheese
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 30 min.
Makes2 casseroles (4 servings each)
- 1 package (16 ounces) cavatappi or spiral pasta
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 large green peppers, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cheddar cheese soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro, optional
- Cook pasta according to package directions to al dente. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook the beef, onions, green peppers and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Drain.
- Stir in the tomatoes, soup, milk, chipotle pepper and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Drain pasta; stir into meat mixture. Divide between two greased 8-in. square baking dishes; sprinkle with cheese.
- Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 3 months. Cover and bake the remaining casserole at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake until bubbly and cheese is melted, 8-10 minutes longer. Sprinkle with cilantro if desired.
- To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 350° for 60 minutes. Uncover; bake until bubbly and cheese is melted, 8-10 minutes longer.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 662 calories, 27g fat (12g saturated fat), 115mg cholesterol, 850mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 7g fiber), 43g protein.
Feb 19, 2012
this recipe definitely has some heat.
Jan 3, 2012
There are only two of us, so I halved the recipe. It still made a lot. I'm not worried about it being eaten, it was wonderful! We like spicy food and it had just enought heat without being to much . I will definatly make it again.