Chipotle Mac & Cheese
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 30 min.
Makes2 casseroles (4 servings each)
- 1 package (16 ounces) cavatappi or spiral pasta
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 large green peppers, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cheddar cheese soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro, optional
- Cook pasta according to package directions to al dente. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook the beef, onions, green peppers and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Drain.
- Stir in the tomatoes, soup, milk, chipotle pepper and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Drain pasta; stir into meat mixture. Divide between two greased 8-in. square baking dishes; sprinkle with cheese.
- Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 3 months. Cover and bake the remaining casserole at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake until bubbly and cheese is melted, 8-10 minutes longer. Sprinkle with cilantro if desired.
- To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 350° for 60 minutes. Uncover; bake until bubbly and cheese is melted, 8-10 minutes longer.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 662 calories, 27g fat (12g saturated fat), 115mg cholesterol, 850mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 7g fiber), 43g protein.
Nov 2, 2019
This is more of a chili mac than a Mac
Feb 19, 2012
this recipe definitely has some heat.
Jan 3, 2012
There are only two of us, so I halved the recipe. It still made a lot. I'm not worried about it being eaten, it was wonderful! We like spicy food and it had just enought heat without being to much . I will definatly make it again.