My husband didn't like sloppy joes until he tried my rendition with its smoky heat. If you need to dial down the fiery zip, reduce the peppers. —Brittany Allyn, Mesa, Arizona
Featured In: 50 Easy Weeknight Dinners
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped, optional
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 to 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 6 kaiser rolls or hamburger buns, split
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- Pickle slices, optional
- Preheat broiler. In a large skillet, cook beef, onion, green pepper and, if desired, jalapeno over medium heat 5-7 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain.
- Stir in chili sauce, water, chipotle peppers, brown sugar and mustard; bring to a boil. Simmer, uncovered, 8-10 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
Lightly spread cut sides of rolls with butter; arrange on a baking sheet, buttered side up. Broil 3-4 in. from heat until lightly toasted, about 30 seconds. Fill with beef mixture and, if desired, pickles.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Chipotle Chili Sloppy Joes in Simple & Delicious February/March 2016
Reviews forChipotle Chili Sloppy Joes
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 25, 2017
"This recipe was great!!! My whole family loved it!!! easy to make and tons of flavor!!"