Chipotle Carne Guisada
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2-1/2 pounds beef stew meat
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce plus 2 tablespoons sauce
- 12 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Hot cooked rice, flour tortillas, chopped tomatoes and shredded lettuce, optional
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown beef in batches. Transfer meat to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Stir in tomato sauce, water, chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, garlic, chili powder, cumin, bouillon, pepper and salt.
- Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until meat is tender. If desired, serve with rice, flour tortillas, chopped tomatoes and shredded lettuce.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup (calculated without optional ingredients): 275 calories, 15g fat (4g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 489mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 28g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 15, 2018
really tasty recipe. We had it as tacos and on white rice. Both were very good. I served it with avocado and fresh cilantro. I tried the recipe as written and I don't think I will alter it- very unusual for me- it is a great recipe.
Aug 6, 2015
Excellent flavor, the chipotle in adobo sauce adds a nice smokey spice to this dish. It is not overly hot, I may try adding a little cayenne next time or a dash of hot sauce right before serving this next time. Will definitely make again