Chipotle Beef Tenderloins Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped sweet onion
- 3/4 cup chopped green or sweet red pepper
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 3 cups chopped seeded tomatoes
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 tablespoon chipotle hot pepper sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 beef tenderloin steaks (1-1/2 inches thick and 6 ounces each)
- 2 teaspoons Montreal steak seasoning
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon Liquid Smoke, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute onion, green pepper and jalapeno until tender. Stir in tomatoes, chipotle, pepper sauce, sugar, salt, chili powder and cumin; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until thickened, 25-30 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 2. Sprinkle steaks with steak seasoning. Grill, covered, over medium heat until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 160°), 7-8 minutes per side.
- 3. Remove sauce from heat; stir in cilantro and, if desired, Liquid Smoke. Serve with steaks. Yield: 6 servings.
1 steak with 1/3 cup sauce: 324 calories, 15g fat (4g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 658mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 37g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.