VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped sweet onion
- 3/4 cup chopped green or sweet red pepper
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 3 cups chopped seeded tomatoes
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 tablespoon chipotle hot pepper sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 beef tenderloin steaks (1-1/2 inches thick and 6 ounces each)
- 2 teaspoons Montreal steak seasoning
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon Liquid Smoke, optional
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute onion, green pepper and jalapeno until tender. Stir in tomatoes, chipotle, pepper sauce, sugar, salt, chili powder and cumin; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until thickened, 25-30 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Sprinkle steaks with steak seasoning. Grill, covered, over medium heat until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 160°), 7-8 minutes per side.
- Remove sauce from heat; stir in cilantro and, if desired, Liquid Smoke. Serve with steaks. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Chipotle Beef Tenderloins in Taste of Home June/July 2011, p23