Chipotle-Apple Chicken Breasts
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 2 bacon strips, diced
- 1 small tart apple, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a small skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 teaspoon drippings. Saute apple in drippings until tender. Add the onion, applesauce, chipotle peppers and bacon; saute 2 minutes longer.
- Cut a pocket in each chicken breast half; stuff with apple mixture. In a small skillet, brown chicken in oil on both sides.
- Transfer to an ungreased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 12-15 minutes or until a thermometer reads 170°.
- Meanwhile, add the flour, apple juice, salt and pepper to the skillet; stir to loosen browned bits. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with chicken.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 335 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 99mg cholesterol, 489mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 1g fiber), 37g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1-1/2 fat, 1 fruit.
Oct 5, 2015
Good, though didn't knock my socks off enough for five stars.
Feb 10, 2013
Easy to prepare and very tasty.
Dec 24, 2012
This is my DD's favorite dish! I make it & just put the chicken on top of the apple mixture. My DH doesn't want the filling so this is a happy medium. Very good recipe! Definitely worth making!
May 28, 2009
This recipe was Fantastic! I will definitely make it again and again! I added a little more chipotle peppers because I like things a little spicier and it turned out great!