Chinese Scallion Pancakes Recipe
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/3 cups boiling water
- 4 teaspoons sesame oil
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- DIPPING SAUCE:
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1. Place flour in a large bowl; stir in boiling water until dough forms a ball. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 4-6 minutes. Place in a large bowl; cover and let rest for 30 minutes.
- 2. Divide dough into eight portions; roll each portion into an 8-in. circle. Brush with 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil; sprinkle with 1 heaping tablespoon of green onion and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Roll up jelly-roll style; holding one end of rope, wrap dough around, forming a coil, pinching to seal. Flatten slightly. Roll each coil to 1/8-in. thickness.
- 3. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon canola oil. Cook pancakes, one at a time, over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- 4. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine sauce ingredients. Serve with pancakes. Yield: 8 pancakes (1/4 cup sauce).
Reviews for Chinese Scallion Pancakes
"Just to clarify, can you cook the pancakes and then chill in fridge. Reheat in oven for how long? Are they covered in oven?"
"I love these. These also go great with certain Chinese foods that have a lot of sauce like Mapo Tofu."
"This is perfection! Simple recipe, few ingredients, and easy to make. The sauce is to die for perfect as well - just make it ahead of time to allow the flavors to meld."
"Tasty! Very good Dipping Sauce, easy to make."
"Surprisingly good with so few ingredients. Good alternative to egg rolls as a side for stir-fry. The sauce is a must, a little goes a long way."
"Great recipe. Just like the scallion pancakes we get from our favorite Chinese recipe in Manhattan. I need to roll them out a little thinner as they puff up a little when they hit the pan. That was my error. The pancakes are perfect. Thank you."