Chinese New Year Skillet
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (1 pound), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple tidbits
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped green pepper
- 1 medium tomato, cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- In a large skillet, cook pork in oil over medium heat on all sides until pork is lightly browned; drain.Drain pineapple, reserving juice in a 2-cup measuring cup; set pineapple aside.
- Add enough water to the juice to measure 1-1/4 cups; stir into pork. Add the vinegar, sugar, salt and garlic powder. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until meat is tender. Meanwhile, cook rice according to package directions.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into pork mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the green pepper, tomato, Worcestershire sauce and reserved pineapple; heat through. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 608 calories, 25g fat (8g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 621mg sodium, 66g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 3g fiber), 30g protein.
Jan 21, 2020
Average recipe but made for a quick weeknight meal. Hubby said should have used sweetened pineapple.
Mar 14, 2014
This was good served with the Egg Drop Soup from the same issue and egg rolls.
Nov 19, 2011
Tasty and different! Can use cubed up pork chops too!
Oct 19, 2011
We made a bunch of oriental recipes at one time and this was the best!