Chinese Lemon Chicken
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + marinating Cook: 15 min.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
- 1 teaspoon plus 1/4 cup cornstarch, divided
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1 large lemon, thinly sliced and seeds removed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1-1/2 cups cooked long grain rice
- Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness. In a small bowl, combine 1 teaspoon cornstarch, rice wine vinegar and sesame oil; brush over both sides of chicken. Place in a large resealable plastic bag. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, bring the brown sugar, water, cider vinegar and lemon slices to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until lemon slices are golden brown and sauce is thickened.
- Meanwhile, place egg and remaining cornstarch in separate shallow bowls. Dip chicken in the egg, then cornstarch. In an electric skillet, heat 1/2 in. of oil to 375°. Carefully place chicken in hot oil. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Serve with rice and lemon mixture.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 582 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 175mg cholesterol, 122mg sodium, 88g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 1g fiber), 35g protein.
Oct 11, 2018
Nope, uh uh, nyet! This may have lemon but it is not the lovely lemon chicken I’ve had all over the country. I would never waste the money fixing this again. There are too many good lemon chicken recipes to go with.
Apr 3, 2014
Have not tried this yet, but plan to soon. Giving 4 stars merely because haven't tried it, otherwise would be a definitive'5'.