"A Chinese friend gave me this recipe for flavorful fish," writes Ruth Solyntjes of Waterville, Minnesota. "She didn't know U.S. measurements, so I'd hold up a plastic teaspoon and ask, 'How much?' for each ingredient she used."
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 fresh or frozen orange roughy fillets (6 ounces each), thawed
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger or 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook fish in canola oil for 2 minutes. Turn and cook 2 minutes longer. Add the next nine ingredients. Cover and simmer for 4 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Sprinkle with sesame oil. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Chinese Fish in Light & Tasty February/March 2003, p50