- 1/4 cup bacon grease
- 2 cups chopped or shredded cooked beef, pork or chicken
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1 large peeled boiled potato, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 to 2 teaspoons chili powder or to taste
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 12 large flour tortillas, warmed
- Vegetable oil
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- Shredded lettuce
- Chopped tomatoes
- Sliced ripe olives
- 1. In a skillet, melt bacon grease over medium heat. Saute meat, onion, garlic, tomatoes, chilies and potatoes until the onion softens. Add salt, oregano, chili powder and cilantro; simmer 2-3 minutes. Place a scant 1/2 cup meat filling on each tortilla. Fold, envelope-style, like a burrito. Fry, seam side down, in 1/2 in. of hot oil. (360°-375°) until crispy and brown. Turn and brown other side. Drain briefly on a paper towel. Place on a serving plate and top with shredded cheese, a dollop of sour cream, guacamole and salsa. Place shredded lettuce next to chimichanga and top with tomatoes and olives. Serve immediately. Yield: 12 servings.
1 each: 357 calories, 13g fat (4g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 1058mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 6g fiber), 12g protein.
Reviews for Chimichangas
"Terrible. I threw it out. You know what you get when you put tomatoes in a hot pan? You get tomato soup. Not a filler for a chimichanga. Move along, nothing to see here."