Chilled Rice Salad
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 1 package (6.9 ounces) chicken-flavored rice and vermicelli mix
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 12 pimiento-stuffed olives, sliced
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 jars (6-1/2 ounces each) marinated artichoke hearts, marinade drained and reserved
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon curry powder
- Prepare rice mix according to package directions, except substitute 1 teaspoon oil for butter called for. Cool.
- Add the olives, green onions and green pepper; toss to mix. Cut the artichokes into quarters and add to rice mixture; set aside. In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, curry powder and reserved marinade; blend well. Pour over rice mixture; toss to mix. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 211 calories, 13g fat (2g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 644mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 22, 2017
I made this using the Rice-a-Roni brand mix. Since the box called for 2 tablespoons of butter, I subbed 2 tablespoons of canola oil. One tsp. didn't seem enough. I used the 3/4 tsp. of sweet curry powder (Penzey's spice brand). I left out the mayo (because my husband hates it) and added some more of the artichoke marinade to make up for it. Finally, I gave it a good sprinkling of freshly ground pepper. My husband tasted it when it had barely been in the fridge . He's looking forward to dinner. I'm thinking some snipped fresh cilantro would go well with this. May add some shredded cooked chicken or grilled shrimp next time for a complete meal.
May 28, 2016
i liked that it was simple to put together. I did omit the olives and used colored peppers in place of the green peppers.
Oct 29, 2008
My family liked this tasty recipe a lot, especially the inclusion of artichoke hearts. I liked it because it's so easy to put together. I will remember to keep all the ingredients in my pantry so I can fix at short notice.