Chilled Red Wine Fruit Dressing
The fruit bowl will be the first to empty when Donna Warner's elegant dressing is tossed into the mix. "It's wonderful with melon balls, sliced oranges, strawberries, bananas and most any type of fruit," she writes from Tavares, Florida. "Use it to dress either a salad or a light summer dessert."
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 10 min. + chilling
- 1 cup dry red wine or 1/2 cup grape juice plus 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 8 whole cloves
- In a saucepan, combine the wine or grape juice plus vinegar, sugar, red wine vinegar, cinnamon stick and cloves. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Strain liquid; discard cinnamon stick and cloves. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
Editor’s Note: If using grape juice instead of wine, reduce sugar to 1/3 cup.
Nutrition Facts4 teaspoon: 60 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fruit.
Originally published as Chilled Red Wine Fruit Dressing in Light & Tasty August/September 2004