Chili with Corn Bread Topping
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1/3 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (15 ounces) chili with beans
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup corn bread/muffin mix
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons beaten egg
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup frozen corn, thawed
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in chili and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Pour into two 2-cup baking dishes.
- In a small bowl, combine the corn bread mix, milk and egg. Stir in cheese and corn just until combined. Spread batter evenly over chili.
- Bake at 400° for 15-18 minutes or until topping is golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 657 calories, 19g fat (8g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 1714mg sodium, 80g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 9g fiber), 41g protein.
Sep 8, 2017
I used my homemade chili for this, everyone loved it!
Jan 25, 2015
I haven't tried it yet, but it gIves me a great idea about how to do the cornbread topping. I use the chili made from the packet. Warning. The original is spicey
Dec 28, 2014
The recipe called for chili beans with tomatoes, or no tomatoes... So I subbed tomato sauce... Good recipe, could use a little updating. Just substitute where you can.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.