Chili Tamale Casserole
The combination of chilies and chocolate in this casserole from Ralph Stamm of Dayton, Ohio is a good match for the spicy chocolate cinnamon cane sugar. Just a little bit goes a long way to enhance the flavors of his original recipe. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 50 min. + standing
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 cups masa harina
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2-1/2 pounds boneless pork loin roast, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- 2 dried Anaheim chilies, chopped
- 2 dried Ancho chilies, chopped
- 2 ounces Mexican or semisweet chocolate, grated
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons Gustus Vitae spicy chocolate cinnamon cane sugar
- 3 teaspoons cumin seeds, toasted and crushed
- 3/4 cup minced fresh cilantro, optional
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Drain corn, reserving liquid; set corn aside. Place masa harina in a large bowl. In a small bowl, combine the broth, butter, egg and reserved corn liquid; stir into masa harina just until moistened. Set aside.
- In a large skillet coated with cooking spray, cook pork and onion over medium heat until pork is no longer pink. Add the beans, chilies, chocolate, orange juice, lime juice, garlic powder, spicy chocolate cinnamon sugar, cumin, reserved corn, and cilantro and jalapeno if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; sprinkle with cheese. Spread masa harina mixture over cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 50-60 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 380 calories, 16g fat (7g saturated fat), 87mg cholesterol, 568mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 28g protein.
Originally published as Chili Tamale Pie in Gustus Vitae - Fall 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.