Chili Rice Pie
A brown rice crust gives this meat pie added nutrition. It's a fun and different way to serve chili.—Denise Kilback, Balgonie, Saskatchewan
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/4 cup Kerrygold shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup each finely chopped celery, onion and green and sweet red pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- In a bowl, combine the first four ingredients; mix well. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 9-in. pie plate; set aside.
- For filling, cook beef, celery, onion, peppers and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomatoes, beans and chili powder. Spoon into crust.
- Bake at 325° for 40 minutes or until heated through. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
You can also make the crust for Chili Rice Pie with 2 cups cooked white rice. Don't care for kidney beans? Use black or pinto beans instead. For a more spicy chili, sir in some finely chopped jalapeno peppers.