Chili Rice Pie
A brown rice crust gives this meat pie added nutrition. It's a fun and different way to serve chili.—Denise Kilback, Balgonie, Saskatchewan
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup each finely chopped celery, onion and green and sweet red pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- In a bowl, combine the first four ingredients; mix well. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 9-in. pie plate; set aside.
- For filling, cook beef, celery, onion, peppers and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomatoes, beans and chili powder. Spoon into crust.
- Bake at 325° for 40 minutes or until heated through. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
You can also make the crust for Chili Rice Pie with 2 cups cooked white rice. Don't care for kidney beans? Use black or pinto beans instead. For a more spicy chili, sir in some finely chopped jalapeno peppers.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 302 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 241mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 5g fiber), 18g protein.
Originally published as Chili Rice Pie in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook-Book
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.