My husband loves hamburgers and Mexican food, so I combined the two to create this zesty sandwich. Garnish these dressed-up burgers with sliced avocados if you like. —Darlene Wilkinson, Quilcene, Washington
Recommended: 5-Star Grilling Recipes You've Gotta Try
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (4 ounces) whole green chilies, drained and halved
- 4 slices Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 4 sandwich buns, split
- Sour cream
- Shape beef into four patties. In a skillet over medium heat, brown patties on both sides. Top each with onion, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until meat is no longer pink.
- Top each patty with chilies and a slice of cheese. Cover and cook 3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. In a small bowl, combine salsa and ketchup. Place burgers on buns; serve with the salsa mixture and sour cream. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Chili Rellenos Burgers in Quick Cooking November/December 2001, p49
Reviews forChili Rellenos Burgers
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 26, 2012
"Everyone loved these burgers!"