Chili Relleno Mini Casseroles
This recipe came about by accident 20 years ago. My sons had begged me to hurry up with breakfast so that we could play a game of catch. I whipped this up, spent time with my sons and then we all enjoyed our own spicy fun "casserole".
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 4 flour tortillas (8 inches)
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- Brush both sides of tortillas with butter. Place each tortilla in an individual ovenproof 10-oz. custard cup or casserole, pressing down in center to form a shell.
- In a bowl, combine the cheese, flour, salt and pepper; set half aside. To the other half, add eggs, chiles, garlic and onion; pour into tortilla shells. Top with reserved cheese mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 25 minutes or until eggs are set. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Serve with salsa.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 522 calories, 32g fat (16g saturated fat), 381mg cholesterol, 950mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 28g protein.
Originally published as Chili Relleno Mini Casseroles in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.