Chili ‘n’ Cheese Grits
Although I live in a big city, I'm really a country cook. Most of our friends laugh about eating grits, but there's never any leftovers from this recipe. —Rosemary West, Las Vegas, Nevada
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup grits
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large saucepan, bring water and milk to a boil. Add grits; cook and stir over medium heat for 5 minutes or until thickened.
- In a small bowl, beat egg yolks. Stir a small amount of hot grits into yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly.
- Add 3/4 cup cheese, butter, chilies and salt. Pour into a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 228 calories, 13g fat (8g saturated fat), 92mg cholesterol, 526mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Chili N Cheese Grits in Casserole Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.