Chili Macaroni Casserole Recipe
- 1 cup uncooked wagon wheel pasta
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) turkey chili with beans
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup crushed baked tortilla chip scoops
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, cook the beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the chili, tomatoes, chips, 1/2 cup cheese, rice, chili powder, salt and pepper. Drain pasta; add to beef mixture.
- 2. Transfer to a 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup: 358 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 847mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 4g fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Chili Macaroni Casserole
"I have a 2 year old so I omitted the chili powder. I also did not use the tortilla chips so I doubled the amount of pasta and cheese. This family loves cheese! The 2 year old ate it up so I will be making it again. VERY IMPORTANT, make sure you use instant rice, not regular. Regular will not cook through."
"I tripled this recipe over the weekend for an early Halloween party. I called it spider web casserole (the wagon wheel pasta kinda looks like spiderwebs) and the kids all loved it plus it was super filling so they didn't eat quite as many sweets. I will definitely keep this recipe around to feed my crew on a week night because it goes together quickly."
"These sound really good and a little different that I have made so I will be trying it soon"