- 1/3 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/3 pound lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup tomato juice
- 3/4 cup canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato juice, beans, garlic, chili powder, salt, oregano and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Drain macaroni; add to beef mixture. Stir in pickle relish; heat through. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews forChili Macaroni
"I did like this meal and my boyfriend commented saying it was very good. Unfortunately I spaced on measuring out the beans and I just put the whole can in after I drained them (oops!) I used chili beans instead since that was what I had and I think it tasted fine with them. Next time I'll remember to measure out the beans since I didn't get to enjoy the macaroni as much. Any suggestions on things to add to kick up the flavor?"
"It was very bland... I put some of my Tastefully Simple Wahoo chili mix in it and it was better but I wont make again with just this recipe. Also I topped with cheese :)"
"I cooked the macaroni in beef stock rather than water; a lot more flavor. Also used V-8 juice, didn't have tomato, came out fine. Also, use a little more garlic (my husband likes garlic a lot."
"My mom used to make this and she called it "Slum Gullen". I have made it for years and the family always loved it. We use chilli seasoning, a can of sweet corn and dont drain the beans. Very affordable meal."
"I really hate to do this because I have never given any TOH recipe anything less than 5 stars but this was very bland. The only thing I left out of this was the sweet pickle relish because we don't care for it. Maybe that was the problem? If I were to make this again, I would use a packet of McCormick's chili seasoning rather than the seasonings that are called for in this recipe."
"My mom used to make this for us when we were kids, I havent had it for years! Its fantastic & so good on a cold day. I'm orginally from Ulysses, NE, right down the road from David City!"