- 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- Thinly sliced green onions, optional
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, beans, tomato paste, chilies and seasonings. Drain macaroni; add to beef mixture.
- Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5-8 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. If desired, top with sliced green onions. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews forChili Mac Casserole
"Delicious! I am not a recipe follower when it comes to spices. But this one I did. I used turkey and beef. I didn't add the tomato paste. I was amazed that one cup of pasta was enough. Reading the recipe I had my doubts about this feeding ten people, but it could. I added fresh red peppers, loads of onions and garlic. The spices were actually enough!! I will be keeping this recipe for many future meals!!!"
"Very easy to make and delicious to eat. Did not use green chiles, garlic, or cumin; added green pepper."
"I have to say this dish is amazing, tasty, love it. Been cooking a long time, but this has a wonderful kick."
"easy to fix and such good flavors...will make again."
"Good flavor. I cut the recipe in half because I didn't have enough on hand to make the full amount. I substituted the elbow macaroni with whole grain penne and black beans for the kidney beans. Unfortunately I did not have the green chiles either, but it all turned out good anyways. Probably would have been 5 star if I made it as the recipe stated. Will make again."
"This has become a family favorite!!!"
"Very good recipe, easy to through together. I completely forgot to add the green chilies I don't think I would have liked them anyway. Next time I will add Del Monte Fiesta Corn to the dish! My husband and I really enjoyed this."
"A good weeknight meal"