Chili in Bread Bowls
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 7 hours
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound each beef stew meat, boneless skinless chicken breast and boneless pork, cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) navy beans or great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 9 large hard rolls
- Sour cream, chopped green onions and sweet red pepper, optional
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add meat in batches; toss to coat. In a large skillet, brown meat in oil in batches. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker with a slotted spoon. Stir in onion, peppers, tomatoes, beans, tomato sauce and seasonings. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Cut tops off rolls; carefully hollow out bottom halves. Spoon about 1 cup of chili into each roll. Garnish with sour cream, onions and red pepper if desired.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 420 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 947mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 9g fiber), 29g protein.
Aug 16, 2014
I use pinto beans instead of navy beans or great northern beans. People in the Southwest like pinto beans not navy beans or great northern beans. Also I added New Mexico Chili, which we are known for growing the nations best. My guest loved it. I serve it either in the fall or winter.
Oct 2, 2011
I don't like chili usually but this chili is amazing. I used the bread bowls and it was a hit with my kids and fiance. I will definitely be making this again.
Jan 28, 2011
My boyfriend liked the different variety of meats. I didn't use bread bowls or onions, but it was still very good! Kind of a lot to put together for chili, but it was worth it.
Sep 29, 2010
Very good chili, will definitely make again.
May 1, 2010
All I have to say about this one, is DELICIOUS! We loved it, and I took some leftovers to work and the boss loved it too! :D Very meaty, the way a good chili should be!
Jan 19, 2010
Was looking for a chili with a variety of meats. Great recipe!
Jan 23, 2009
I try to limit my red meat intake. I substituted the read meat for ground turkey and omitted the pork. It turned out well, I also got the bread bowls from Panera bread for .65 apiece.
Jan 20, 2008
Thank you for posting this recipe. It was exactly what I was looking for. Delicious!
Dec 9, 2007
This is good chili.