Chili in a Bread Bowl Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- BREAD BOWL:
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 1. In a saucepan, brown beef with onion; drain. Add next five ingredients; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Grease a 9-in. heart-shaped or round baking pan; sprinkle with cornmeal and set aside. In a saucepan over medium heat, bring water and butter to a boil. Add flour, Parmesan and baking powder; stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from heat; beat in eggs, one at a time. Continue beating until the mixture is smooth and shiny. Spread into prepared pan, building up edges slightly. Bake at 425° for 25-30 minutes or until the center is firm and puffed and edges are golden brown. Make a shallow slit in the center to allow steam to escape. Cool for 5 minutes before removing to a serving plate. Fill with chili; serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
Editor's Note: Chili recipe makes more than will fit in the bread bowl.
1 cup: 472 calories, 22g fat (10g saturated fat), 215mg cholesterol, 899mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 7g fiber), 30g protein.