Our daughter made this recipe for a 4-H food show and won a blue ribbon. It's so simple to prepare, even on hurried, hectic days. We like to eat these squares with sour cream and salsa. - Tracy Johnson, Canyon, Texas
Recommended: 17 Chili Recipes Ready in 30 Minutes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons cornmeal, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 large eggs
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 pound ground beef, cooked and drained
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- Sprinkle a greased 13x9-in. baking pan with 1 tablespoon of cornmeal; set aside. In a bowl, combine the salt, baking soda and remaining cornmeal.
- In another bowl, beat eggs; add corn, milk and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Pour half of the batter into prepared pan. Layer with beef, cheese, chilies and onion. Top with remaining batter.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Chili Corn Bread in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook 1999, p88
Reviews forChili Cornbread
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review