Chili con Queso Artichokes
"Here's an easy, cheesy artichoke appetizer that I just love," says Kori Tuggle, marketing manager for Ocean Mist Farms, Castroville, California. "Our artichoke fields are a stop on Taste of Home's Slice of California tour. We look forward to showing the travelers how easy it is to cook and enjoy this thorny, odd-looking little vegetable!"
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min. + standing
Makes8 servings (2 cups sauce)
- 2 large artichokes
- 1 package shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Using a sharp knife, level the bottom of each artichoke and cut 1 in. from the tops. Using kitchen scissors, snip off tips of outer leaves. Place artichokes in a large saucepan; add 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until leaves near the center pull out easily.
- Invert artichokes to drain for 10 minutes. With a grapefruit spoon, carefully remove the fuzzy centers and discard.
- In a small microwave-safe dish, combine the cheese, evaporated milk and chilies. Cover and microwave on high for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted, stirring twice. Stir in cilantro. Gently spread artichoke leaves apart; fill with cheese mixture. Serve immediately.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 157 calories, 10g fat (7g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 312mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein.
Originally published as Chili con Queso Artichokes in Taste of Home June/July 2007
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.