Chili-Chipotle Brownie Bars
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 chili dark chocolate candy bar (3-1/2 ounces)
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°. Sift together sugar, flour, ground chipotle pepper and salt. Set aside.
- In top of a double boiler or a metal bowl over simmering water, melt butter and both types of chocolate; stir until smooth. Cool slightly. Stir chocolate mixture into dry ingredients. Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- Spread batter into a 13x9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake until center is set, about 25 minutes (do not overbake). Cool completely.
- For icing, beat together cream cheese, confectioners' sugar, vanilla and chipotle pepper. Spread over brownies. Cut into 24 bars.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 brownie: 281 calories, 17g fat (10g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 147mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Feb 17, 2020
very disappointed. I made exactly to recipe and it didn’t win over our family who usually loves my desserts.
Feb 7, 2020
I had prepared this recipe 2/13/2018. I did not have a chili dark chocolate bar, so I'd used 1/4 tsp. chili powder. I scaled back on cream cheese: used 8-oz. and added 1 lb. of prepared white frosting and 1/8 tsp. chipotle seasoning.