I've had fun experimenting with these sweet and spiced-up brownies, and those who have sampled every change in the recipe have had fun as well. It may have taken a few tweaks to reach perfection, but after just one bite, I knew I'd nailed it. —Sheri Dunlap, Shawnee, Oklahoma
Recommended: Diabetic Dessert Recipes for the Holidays
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 chili dark chocolate candy bar (3-1/2 ounces)
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°. Sift together sugar, flour, ground chipotle pepper and salt. Set aside.
- In top of a double boiler or a metal bowl over simmering water, melt butter and both types of chocolate; stir until smooth. Cool slightly. Stir chocolate mixture into dry ingredients. Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- Spread batter into a 13x9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake until center is set, about 25 minutes (do not overbake). Cool completely.
- For icing, beat together cream cheese, confectioners' sugar, vanilla and chipotle pepper. Spread over brownies. Cut into 24 bars. Yield: about 2 dozen.
Originally published as Chili-Chipotle Brownie Bars in Taste of Home February/March 2018