Chili Cheese Strata
This do-ahead casserole has a south-of-the-border flavor. Adjust the chilies and salsa to suit your tastes.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 30 min. + standing
- 1 loaf (12 ounces) French bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 1 cup salsa verde or 4 ounces chopped green chilies and 1/2 cup salsa, combined
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cheddar cheese soup, undiluted
- 2 cups milk or half-and-half cream
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Place bread cubes evenly in a greased 2-qt. shallow baking dish. Sprinkle with 1 cup cheese. Pour salsa over cheese; set aside. In a blender, combine eggs, soup, milk, onion and Worcestershire sauce; pour over bread mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover and refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 327 calories, 16g fat (9g saturated fat), 149mg cholesterol, 952mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 16g protein.
Originally published as Chili Cheese Strata in Complete Guide to Country Cooking Cookbook