VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 loaf (12 ounces) French bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 1 cup salsa verde or 4 ounces chopped green chilies and 1/2 cup salsa, combined
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cheddar cheese soup, undiluted
- 2 cups milk or half-and-half cream
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Place bread cubes evenly in a greased 2-qt. shallow baking dish. Sprinkle with 1 cup cheese. Pour salsa over cheese; set aside. In a blender, combine eggs, soup, milk, onion and Worcestershire sauce; pour over bread mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover and refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Chili Cheese Strata in Complete Guide to Country Cooking Cookbook 1998, p229