Chili-Cheese Spoon Bread
Patricia Barkman's versatile casserole can serve as a snappy side dish or a meatless meal with mass appeal. "My father raves about it," she notes from Riverton, Manitoba.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1 large egg
- 1 can (8-3/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (8-1/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend or part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a large bowl, beat egg substitute and egg. Add the remaining ingredients; mix well. Pour into a 9-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 213 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 525mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 13g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Chili-Cheese Spoon Bread in Light & Tasty April/May 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.