In Corpus Christi, Texas, Peter Halferty jazzes up instant mashed potatoes with garlic, green chilies and cheese to create this speedy side dish. "It's really tasty and really quick," he assures.
Recommended: 25 New Ways to Make Mashed Potatoes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2-3/4 cups water
- 1 cup milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon butter or stick margarine
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups instant mashed potato flakes
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend or cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, bring the water, milk and salt to a boil. Add the butter, garlic, potato flakes and chilies; stir until thickened. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Chili-Cheese Mashed Potatoes in Quick Cooking September/October 2003, p11