Chili-Cheese Breakfast Bake
Get ‘em out of bed on nippy fall mornings with this savory, Southwest-flavored breakfast casserole from Kathy Mead in Surprise, Arizona.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 1 hour
- 6 slices whole wheat bread, cubed
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 egg whites
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- In a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray, layer half of the bread cubes, cheese and chilies. Repeat layers.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, egg whites, milk, mustard, salt and pepper; pour over top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 287 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 225mg cholesterol, 910mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat-free milk, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Southwestern Breakfast Casserole in Light & Tasty October/November 2006
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.